Tuesday 25 March 2014

Lesson 1: breathing out under the water, gliding and floating

I thought I'd better do a post about last weeks class before it all gets forgotten.

It was my first class.  There are about 12 people there - all appear to be much younger than me (I am 50), but all really friendly.  My fear must have been pretty evident as within about 3 minutes of me getting in the pool the teacher separated me off with a float and gave me some simple exercises to do while as far as I was concerned the rest of the class just got on with swimming, getting their heads under water and to me looking really confident.  But actually this was great.  I was just happy doing my thing and taking my time. 

The class is very structured, and that suits me just fine.  I don't remember the classes 15 years ago being like that - am sure they were a bit of a free for all - with people splashing around and no organisation.

In these classes the first exercises involve breathing in, and then putting the head/face under the face and breathing out through your mouth and if you can the nose so you blow bubbles for as long as you can.  This was quite a revelation.  I don't think anyone has told me about breathing out like this, and certainly until now I've spent most of the time trying not to get my face wet and focusing on getting my feet off the ground instead.  But although this sounded and seemed quite scary, somehow I got some confidence and managed to do it.  OK maybe not as much as the others in the group or for so long, but I had a go.

We also did some floating on the front and on the back, but I had to use the noodle float for this and then some gliding.  By the end of the first class I just about managed to go without the float for a second or two - but was not quite ready to go it alone.



No comments:

Post a Comment